Skip to main content

Surprising Your Kiddos With a Trip!

The older my kids have become, the harder it has been to actually surprise them with anything.  First of all I'm not one to be able to keep a secret that is this exciting from anyone very successfully.  When I'm excited, I want to share that excitement.  So, normally after I've booked a vacation, I want to share it with everyone!  However, there have been some times that I've been successful (maybe only fairly) in pulling off a surprise or two when I was taking my kids to Disney or Universal!

When my son was 3 (note the age!) we took him to Walt Disney World for a weekend.  For Christmas we wrapped up a box of all his favorite character items - a Little Einsteins shirt (I'm dating us here!), a Buzz Lightyear hat, and a few other small things.  Since he was 3 and had never been, he didn't really understand what it meant.

However, when he was 5 and his sister was 3 we planned a trip in about 3 weeks.  This one was a whirlwind of planning and was easy to keep as a surprise.  We picked them up from daycare and had a friend with us (who was driving our van home).  They were confused until Mickey called them on the phone and told them they were going to be doing something exciting that day.  We were on the way to the airport to leave for Walt Disney World for a week.  At that time you could schedule Disney calls from characters, though I'm not sure that exists any longer.  If you have someone you know that could do a Disney character voice, this could be accomplished as well!

Waiting at the Airport.  They just found out where they're going!

The next few times we couldn't pull off surprises, but I like to think we pulled off a surprise in 2017 with friends when we booked a 9 nighter that included Walt Disney World and Universal.  For this one they claim they suspected, but suspected without facts is still not knowing!  LOL  We wrote the words "Let's go on vacation together" on 5 cups.  We gave one cup to each of the 5 children with smoothies in them.   We asked them to pose together in the pool for a picture and then one of the adults "noticed" there was something written on the bottom of the cups and they had to put the puzzle together.  It wasn't difficult, but it was fun!  When they learned they were all missing a week of school the week before Thanksgiving, it was even more exciting!

Put the word scramble together.

The most recent time we pulled off a surprise, we utilized the Christmas gift idea again.  We had only about 23 days until we traveled to Universal in January.  I wrapped personalized t-shirts (Just Here for the Butterbeer and Dobby is a Free Elf) and a Universal Gift Cards in a box for each of my children.  It was their only Christmas present that year, and even Santa had left a note to see their parents for their gift (he and I had a conversation the prior week).  It was even more exciting to me when they realized the large number 23 in the box meant they were leaving that soon!

Only a few weeks until they leave for Universal!

I still like to think I have a few surprises left in me, but the older they get the more busy we are and I have to discuss schedules and sports and other activities.  Soon there will be college schedules to take into account.  My dream is to literally wake them up one morning now that they're teenagers and tell them get packed, we're leaving today.  Perhaps I'll be able to sneak that one in still before college, but we will see.  

I've gathered a few other suggestions that might help you pull off a surprise for your loved one!

  • Using the "puzzle" theme, you could take a picture of where you're going and use one of the photo sites that make puzzles.  Then, have them put the puzzle together to give them a hint of where they will be going!
  • Scavenger hunt - make up a list of clues to send your kids on an adventure around your house (or neighborhood) and at the end the surprise is there waiting!
  • Helium balloons...fill balloons with helium and hide them in a large box.  Either put messages in the balloons or on the strings that say what you're doing (note on this one, do not put them in the box too early, or they will not rise well...this has been done for my son with money in the balloons for his birthday and the helium did not last cooped up in the box for long.  He LOVED that they all just stayed in the box.  He thought it was great, but if you're hoping for a large release, box them up right before you want to release them)

  • Drop it in casual conversation and see if your kids notice.  This might work on perhaps the older kids, but you know whether yours would pick up on it.  Decide when you're ready to do it, and when you see something around your house that reminds you...maybe a commercial or an old pair of Mickey Ears, just casually remark that "I can't wait until we're there in (your month) to have my own churro and not have to share".  Then continue on with whatever you were doing.  Drop another one later if they didn't catch on....again and again until someone picks up on it.
  • If you have a Vacation Countdown, set it to when you leave and see if anyone notices that the days start reducing (we actually did this on a trip that was eventually cancelled by Covid...it took about 3 days for someone to notice the numbers were getting smaller).  
  • Send them a letter from Mickey or from Hogwarts (depending on where you're going).  You can make it yourself, or you can find lots of possibilities on Etsy!

  • Have a themed meal and announce it then. 
  • Play Hangman or Pictionary to announce it.
However you decide to tell your loved ones, just remember that it's not about HOW you tell them, it's about the memories you are making.  So, even if you have a spectacular surprise planned and something doesn't go as planned, it's not about the telling.  The story gained from the failed surprise can become more memorable than the surprise might have been! (keep in mind if you have older kids and a shared google account, researching online is NOT always the best way to keep a surprise! Lesson personally learned from this Mom!)  And once revealed, you can move on to the next steps...planning with them or making the actual memories!

Have you surprised anyone before with a trip?  Share with us more ideas in the comments!
Thanks for reading!
Jlynn









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Made An Easy Version of Crystal Palace's Breakfast Lasagna

I've enjoyed spending some time during these months of stay at home orders finding fun Disney recipes and making them at home to enjoy!   This Breakfast Lasagna from the Crystal Palace at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom was my biggest challenge to date.  I found this recipe from food.com which appeared to be the most accurate reproduction based on comments so I thought I'd use this as my starting point.  It was a little intimidating at first glance, but then I figured I could tweak it a little bit.  I really didn't want to make homemade everything! First I chose to skip the pancakes and just use two layers of waffles.  Then, because my husband is the waffle maker and I'm not, I elected to use frozen waffles instead of making those from scratch. I bought pre-made pound cake instead of making it from scratch. But I did use the recipe listed for custard and pastry cream.  I started making those on a Friday afternoon so they could refrigerate overnight.   The next mo

Make Your Own Autograph Book

I have a confession.  I've never purchased an autograph book when I traveled to Disney.  I know there are a lot of options when it comes to buying a pre-made autograph book...you can get so many different kinds; Princess versions, Fab Five versions, Pixar versions....so why did I make my own each time we traveled?  The short answer: I never wanted to run out of an autograph page!  I always had this horror that if I bought a pre-made autograph book that I would be standing in line with one of my kids to get an autograph of a character and we'd be flipping through the book and we'd find we had no more pages for someone to autograph!  That's really the only reason.  Those pre-made ones are gorgeous and super easy, and in a pinch I would have totally grabbed one to use.   But, if you have a few extra minutes before a trip, you can easily make your own with some card stock, a paper cutter, and a small 4x6 photo album from the store.  I purchased my albums from Michaels, but

"To All That Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!"

Don't you love that quote by Walt Disney "To all that come to this Happy Place, Welcome!".  What a beautiful way of welcoming people to Disneyland - or to my little corner of the web world!  My name is Jlynn and I love to talk to others about #allthingDisney!  Whether that's the recent thing you saw on Disney+, your recent trip to one of the Parks, an upcoming Disney Cruise, or simply a fun Disney craft you made! I've always enjoyed sprinkling a little Disney Magic into my family's life over the years.  Now let me sprinkle a little Disney Magic into yours. I am a Magical Agent with Magical Vacations LLC .  I have been blessed to be able to take my LOVE of all things Disney and use it to help YOU find your own love of Disney.  Not only Disney, but Universal as well.  In 2016 my kids convinced me to add Universal onto a trip to Orlando.  I hadn't expected to enjoy it quite as much as I did, but we all absolutely loved it!  Each of these locations h